Monday, October 21, 2013

Sugar Skull Pumpkin

And now for something completely different...

With the beautiful fall weather we're having I decided to change things up a little with this week's post.  While the crocheting is still going on in the background, the focus here will be on drawing/decorating. This has always been a challenge for me. I could never get the design in my head to channel it's way to my hand and onto the paper, etc.  I am in awe of those to whom it comes easy. (You know who you are.)






So, armed with a pumpkin that I had carefully selected during our annual apple picking outing, I began to devise a plan. Said pumpkin was chosen specifically for its skullish shape - narrower at the bottom and wider at the top.







I went with sharpies to draw my design versus actual carving. The pumpkins seem to last longer uncarved and I wanted to use color.








I think it looks good!  Not scary.  Kind of Grateful Dead-ish.








To learn more about the history of sugar skulls, click here http://mexicanfood.about.com/od/history/a/dayofthedead.htm

I'd love to see the pumpkins you've decorated this year!  Add a photo in the comments section if you have one.

No comments:

Post a Comment